Timthumb is a great script, written in PHP for image editing. However I strongly suggest amtyThumb for WordPress users due to some very basic reasons.
- amtyThumb is specially designed for WordPress user.
- It automatically extract 1st image from an article and resize it as per need.
- It requires post id instead of image URL. So no other sites can use script to steal your bandwidth.
- Like timThumb, you need not to specify allowed websites.
- It is light weighted and uses caching. Caching saves time to extract an image from the post and resizing it.
- You can cache/re-cache images for selected or all posts from admin page.
- It has an option page where you can test the plugin.
Home URL for amtythumb
Latest version of amtyThumb ie 8.0 doesn’t depend on any external plugin. So just install and enjoy.
Using font instead of images has many advantages. Like
- Font letters can be re-sized easily without losing sharpness.
- We can change foreground & background color of text.
- We can apply other text decoration to the font.
- Many letters(or symbols) are packed in a font.
- You can show a font character in any style instead of making new request for an image.
- You can use them to generate Captcha
amtyThumb recent/post is really a very good alternative of other plugins (like outbrain) display suggestions. Best features of this plugin are;
Features over other plug-in:
- Can extract an image which is either on same server or on remote server.
- Can extract attached images.
- If an image has deleted from the post, it automatically shows 2nd image as thumbnail.
- It shows default image, if there is no image in the post, which also can be set.
- Appearance is fully customizable through widget panel.
- Can extract image from youtube video for when image is not present.
- many more
You must read why does this plugin is better than other plugins.